After all the entertainment of Joe Joyce’s Daniel Dubois’ grief, we had a remarkable scene in our hands in many ways tonight, two retired American boxing legends went upside down when they returned to the ring in an entertaining eight round exhibition match.
‘Iron’ Mike’s last professional fight came 15 years ago, when he was surprisingly defeated by Irishman Kevin McBride – which failed, which saw the former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world hang his gloves.
Meanwhile, Jones Jr., a 51-year-old three-year-old and four-time world champion, retired in 2018 after a 75-fight career.
Not a single man has gone so far as to disgrace himself before being declared a draw by three former WBC champions, Christy Martin, Vinnie Passionza and Chad Dawson.
YouTube star Jack Paul knocked out former NBA player Nate Robinson in a nightly head-to-head action, while former two-weight world champion Pato Jack Blake dominated McKerna.
Zameen Artis and Edward Vasquez also had successful wins on Saturday at Undercard.
- Mike Tyson Draw Roy Jones Jr.
- Podo Jack beats Blake McCernan
- Zameen Artis defeated Suleiman Sekawa
- Edward Vasquez beats Irwin Gonzalez Jr.
- Jake beats Paul Nate Robinson
Follow all the reactions of Standard Sport’s live blog!
Paul Vs Robinson Boat
Former British World Super-Flyweight Champion Kal Yafai added that it was “scary” that Robinson had been licensed to fight in advance.
British cruiserweight Isaac Chamberlain wrote: “These YouTube celebrities make boxing jokes, which is a serious knockout because it gave him every opportunity to continue for the fans. It was a farce.”
IPF Super Featherweight Champion Joseph Diaz tweeted: “Can we stop with these YouTube fights? [It’s] Uncomfortable and disrespectful to the game. Playing boxing is not a sport. These individuals will be injured. “
Boxing figures call for a halt to ‘stupid celebrity fights’
Key names in boxing have called for a halt to “celebrity” fights after the brutal fall of former NBA star Nate Robinson on YouTube.
Tyson vs Jones Jr. Undercoat – Robinson was stopped for a while in the second round after being knocked out for the third time, first colliding face to face with the canvas before being taken to hospital.
Despite Robinson’s alleged lack of training, the fight was allowed by the California State Athletic Commission with traditional rules of 10 ounce gloves and no head gear.
Two-time Olympic champion Claresa Shields tweeted: “Nate doesn’t have to be without a helmet. You can’t play boxing.”
Tyson’s former coach Teddy Atlas added: “I’m not worried about the players.
Seven World Weightlifting Champion Amanda Serrano said, “They need to stop this stupid celebrity boxing thing. Boxing is a serious sport. Do nothing for YouTube options.
“Most amateur players are battling four rounds, making their debut in six rounds. Someone is really going to get injured one day.
Jones pays tribute to Kobe Bryant Jr.
The fight, of course, took place in the center of the Staples – the home of the LA Lockers and the hidden, iconic Kobe Bryant stage that delighted millions. Here, Roy Jones Jr. pays an emotional tribute
Tyson reacts to the drawing
The immediate aftermath of the fight is here
Jones Jr. pays tribute to Gopi
Fighting on the stage where Kobe Bryant played most of his 20-year NBA career, Jones Jr. paid tribute to the basketball icon who died tragically with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna and seven others in a helicopter crash in January in Calabash, California. .
He adorned the Los Angeles Lakers gloves in purple and gold with pictures of Bryant and the latter’s old jersey numbers – 8 and 24 – on each hand.
“My contribution to Kobe Bryant,” Jones Jr. said in a post – war interview.
“Yes sir (in his building). I had to pay a tribute to Gopi because he is my latest big one.
“Michael Jordan will always be my No. 1 favorite, but Kobe and [Allen] Iverson next second and third, and LeBron [James]. ”
Paul: I’m knocking out McGregor
After Nate Robinson’s catastrophic KO earlier in the day, Jack Paul reiterated his desire to meet Conor McGregor.
“I’m been training my ass for the past year, and I’m taking this seriously,” Paul told the thriller, before revealing he was maintaining a broken nose after a fall in a fight on Saturday, until three days ago when he could not wake him up.
“I have a long list of enemies I want – Connor McGregor, Dillon Denise, I’m going to get both out.
“My brother is, KSI in the Austin McBroom line. I want to be in this game for a long time. I love it, so why?”
Tyson: I’m not a giant … I’m a starter!
A funny moment during the post-fight interview was when asked if Jones Jr. feared he would be properly injured tonight.
Quickly in a flash, Tyson interrupted: “I haven’t fought in 20 years, he stopped fighting three years ago.
“Nobody cares about my ass. I haven’t fought in 15 years. He stopped fighting with you many years ago. Everybody cares about his ass.
“I haven’t done this in 15 or 16 years. I’m not a giant, I’m a beginner warrior! ”
Tyson – who claims to be donating his large fighting wallet to charity – is interested in another exhibition, but he is not interested in asking for a license to actually do it.
“No, because it’s bigger than fighting to win a championship,” he said. “We are humanitarians and we help people.
“It simply came to our notice then. I’m in it now. “
“We need to do this again,” Jones Jr. added. “Everyone loves Mike, and I love Mike too.
“I’ll talk to my family and see how they feel about it. If they think they enjoyed what they saw, if we want to do it again, we will come back and do it again. ”
Tyson is happy to go the distance
“I’m so glad to be here, no matter what everyone says, I ‘m so glad we’ve got to the eight rounds,” Tyson continued.
“Because everyone knows I can knock someone out, and everyone knows I can go eight rounds, 10 rounds, and that’s what I am most grateful for now.
“You can go the distance. It’s a fight.”