An Australian teenager died after being stabbed …

Thread Image
Photo: Shutterstock

An Australian teenager died after being stung by a highly toxic jellyfish. The Australian authorities reported this on Thursday. They say it will be the first time in 15 years that a person has died from a jellyfish bite.

The 17-year-old was stabbed on February 22 while swimming in the sea near Bamaga Village in North Queensland. He was taken to hospital by helicopter, where he finally passed away on 1 March.

Hand of death

The boy was stung by an Australian jellyfish, which is the most poisonous jellyfish in the world. This is why the jellyfish is also called the “hand of death.” Jellyfish live mainly in tropical waters north of the vast continent. This is why in Northern Australia it is also recommended to wear a special bathing suit when swimming during the summer months.

According to biologist Lisa Ann Gershwin, this is the first time since 2006 that a person has died from this jellyfish sting. “Unfortunately, it also happened near the town of Bamaga at that time,” she told ABC. According to Gershwin, not everyone will die after this sting, but people who live a little further from town are more at risk because they don’t always know what to do.

See also  The Super Blue Moon produces breathtaking images

Denton Watson

"Friend of animals everywhere. Evil twitter fan. Pop culture evangelist. Introvert."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *