Wegman later told the BBC: “I can’t believe it.” “It seemed like we had already won the championship, but it was only one game. It felt like an away game, we were struggling. However, we found a way to win.”
Wegman moved to the England national team in 2021, after already becoming a European champion with the Dutch national team. She repeated that trick in 2022 with England in the European Championship held in her country. “I feel like I’m living in a fairy tale.”
“I just said to Arjan (Ferenc, assistant coach, editor.) that it is very special as a player or as a coach to play in two World Cups in a row. I don’t really see this as something that should be taken seriously.” Granted,” she responds to a piece of football history.
According to the Dutch, the team’s feeling was decisive in the semi-final against Australia. “We really want to work for each other and always stick to the plan set beforehand. There is determination, both at the front and at the back. That helped us again today.”
- 2007: National Champion (Terre Lady)
- 2007: Dutch Cup (Terre Liede)
- 2012: National Champion (Ado Hague)
- 2012: Dutch Cup (ADO The Hague)
- 2013: Dutch Cup (ADO The Hague)
- 2017: European Champion (Netherlands)
- 2019: World Cup Final (Netherlands)
- 2022: European Champion (England)
- 2023: World Cup Final (England)
Where do you follow sports news?
You can follow all the news from football to cycling and from athletics to tennis here on Eurosport.